Last week (June 26th) Manny and I set out to California for his Grandma's 80th birthday party. We stayed in Vegas Friday night. The weather was a big change. We left UT while it was cold and rainy. Las Vegas was 106 degrees, so of course, as soon as we got there we went to the pool to cool off. Later that night, we went and saw Transformers. It was awesome. Our hotel was great because the movie theater and places to eat were located inside it. So I was glad that we didnt' have to drive anywhere.
I thought he was going to get me, but then I realized he's just going after the Sphynx.
Saturday, we made it to a tiny, tiny place called Aguanga, CA. Manny's grandparents were so happy to see us and it was nice to see them and everyone else as well. I love his grandparents!His mom and all her sisters and brother really put a lot into making the party special.
Saturday, we made it to a tiny, tiny place called Aguanga, CA. Manny's grandparents were so happy to see us and it was nice to see them and everyone else as well. I love his grandparents!His mom and all her sisters and brother really put a lot into making the party special.
Manny and his cousin Felesha.
Manny and his Grandma.
Manny's sister Felicia, his mom, and his grandparents.
Sunday, we headed to San Diego. I was expecting the weather to be as hot as in Aguanga since they're only about an hour and a half apart, but it wasn't. It was about 78-80 degrees the whole time we were there. Our hotel was right on the beach which made it nice and easy to get to. It still got hot enough to go swimming and play in the ocean.
Looking at the marina from our hotel.
Monday, we went to the San Diego Zoo. The only times I've ever really been to San Diego has been for funerals, and they were quick trips. I told Manny that I wanted to see everything. We spent over 6 hours at the zoo making sure that we saw every little square inch of it.
A mama koala bear holding her baby. Shhh, they're asleep.
Stopped on the escalator to take a photo.
I loved all the animals we saw, so there are a lot of pictures of them.
My feet were starting to get tired so I stopped and got a foot massage for 25 cents.
Manny getting scared riding the tram.
So I went and sat next to him to make him feel better.
More animals.
Tuesday we went to Catalina Island. We had a nice boat ride that took about an hour and a half. The island was crowded with tons of people. It was small enough that we could just about walk everywhere. We wanted to take a tour of the whole island and see some of it's more scenic parts, so we rented a golf cart and I drove us around.
Here's our boat.
Manny and I sat outside on the top so we could enjoy the scenery (which was the vast wide ocean, lots of blue.)
View from the top of Catalina


Leaving Catalina
By Wednesday, we were both pretty tired. We felt like we had been going, going, going our whole trip so far, so Wednesday was our relaxation day. We first went to the tide pools in La Jolla and watched the seals. If you haven't been there, you should go because it's so beautiful. After we were done there, we went back to Mission Beach where we were staying and layed out in the sun and played in the ocean for hours. Since it wasn't super hot like I was expecting, it took a little while to get used to the cold ocean, but once I did, Manny couldn't get me out of it. The waves were so big and kept knocking me down, but I didn't care. Manny talked me into trying to body surf, so I tried it over and over again, but I really didn't do so well.
Leaving Catalina
By Wednesday, we were both pretty tired. We felt like we had been going, going, going our whole trip so far, so Wednesday was our relaxation day. We first went to the tide pools in La Jolla and watched the seals. If you haven't been there, you should go because it's so beautiful. After we were done there, we went back to Mission Beach where we were staying and layed out in the sun and played in the ocean for hours. Since it wasn't super hot like I was expecting, it took a little while to get used to the cold ocean, but once I did, Manny couldn't get me out of it. The waves were so big and kept knocking me down, but I didn't care. Manny talked me into trying to body surf, so I tried it over and over again, but I really didn't do so well.
Manny standing in part of the tide pools.
Manny Buried me in the sand. It was so heavy I had a hard time breathing. I couldn't move at all so I had to have Manny help me out of it.
Thursday, we went to the San Diego temple and performed some ordinances. It's such a beautiful temple. Last time we went, we weren't able to go inside so I was excited that we were able to go in this time. Of course it's beautiful inside. After the temple we went to the Del Mar fair. It is one of the biggest fairs in all of the US. We were there for hours and hours and still didn't even see half of it. We ate some yummy funnel cake and had the biggest corn dogs I have ever seen. They were probably about 15 inches long, no joke! I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't have my camera with me. Manny bought me some beautiful jade jewelry and a pretty wall hanging.
Thursday, we went to the San Diego temple and performed some ordinances. It's such a beautiful temple. Last time we went, we weren't able to go inside so I was excited that we were able to go in this time. Of course it's beautiful inside. After the temple we went to the Del Mar fair. It is one of the biggest fairs in all of the US. We were there for hours and hours and still didn't even see half of it. We ate some yummy funnel cake and had the biggest corn dogs I have ever seen. They were probably about 15 inches long, no joke! I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't have my camera with me. Manny bought me some beautiful jade jewelry and a pretty wall hanging.
We headed home on Friday and hit the 4th of July traffic as we were leaving CA. We inched a long for about 3 1/2 hours. I couldn't believe how bad the traffic was. At first I thought it was everyone leaving for the 4th of July weekend, but then we found out that it also had to do with a couple of different cars that were on fire, and a couch laying in the middle of the freeway. We finally made it Las Vegas, and by then we were starving so we stopped to eat. The traffic in Las Vegas wasn't any better. It took us another 45 minutes just to get back on the freeway. Once we did and got outside of Vegas, it was smooth sailing the rest of the way home. We ended up getting home WAY later than expected. We were so tired, and if we could have, we would have slept straight through the 4th of July.
This is how Manny felt about being stuck in traffic for a very long time.
We had such a fantastic trip. There is so much more that we did that I could go on about, but I won't, not to mention, all the yummy food we ate. Manny was so wonderful and tried his best to make sure that I was having a good time. He succeeded and I had more fun than ever thought possible. Hopefully, I was able to do the same for him. We came home with some really nice tans, not that we needed it.



5 comments:
Oh my goodness...Elyssa, that looked like SO MUCH FUN. I really enjoyed looking at those pictures.Thank you for sharing. We need to get together again. Call me sometime and we can do lunch or double. It would be TONS of fun. I miss you being around here.
Those pictures of the zoo bring back memories of my trip there. We took some in the exact same spots. What a fun trip...minus the traffic :)
I am so jealous! It looks like you had so much fun, it almost makes me wish we didn't have kids. (j/k).
I love pictures! That was so fun (even though we didn't get to go :) I'm glad you had a good time and we love the zoo. Next time you will have to try out the wild animal park. I can't believe they let Manny walk around free-no cage-at the zoo :)
Hey, didn't realize you were just here in Cali....you should of gave us a call, we would've loved to see you guys!! Oh, well, guess we'll see you soon at Ty's homecoming.
Post a Comment