Monday, October 13, 2008

Boon




Boon is my little baby! He's a netherland dwarf rabbit, which means he doesn't get very big. He's the biggest he's ever going to get. He's only about 2 lbs. The way that he came to be part of our family was all because of Manny. I had pet rabbits growing up, and I told him that I wanted another one. After bugging him enough about it, he finally got one for me for our 4 year anniversary. He's now been with us for a year. I know everyone probably thinks it's weird that I have a rabbit for a pet, but he is so much fun! He has quite the personality. He thinks he's a dog most of the time. He hops after me all around our house, he's always on my heels. When I sit down, he jumps up into my lap and will just sit there and wait for me to either pet him or give him a treat. He can be such a chunker sometimes, his favorite treat is cheerio's. When he's happy or gets super excited, he'll run as fast as he can and jump super high over and over again. He is so entertaining to watch. He loves to sit behind me on the couch. when he does that, it's as if he's my little gargoyle watching over me because when he's in that position, and Manny gets too close, he'll start to growl at him and he'll get all tense. He can be very protective of me sometimes. Such a funny thing for a little rabbit. He also loves to perch on my shoulder like a parrot. I think he likes that because when he gets scared, he'll bury his head underneath my hair. Another thing he does when he's scared is thump his feet really loud. He is the sweetest little thing though. He'll nibble playfully on my fingers, or lick them, or he'll jump on my shoulder and nuzzle his nose against my face or lick it. I can't believe I love a furry little thing so much. I imagine this is how parents feel about their children. Hahaha, I'm kidding! I'm know it's not even close to having a child. The good thing is, he was much easier to potty train than a child. It only took me a day, and he had it down. Yes, you can potty train rabbits, weird, I know. It's amazing, but he really is smart. Since he's potty trained, we're able to let him run around our house without worry. We leave his cage door open, and if he needs to go, he'll just hop back into his cage (he has a little litter box in one corner of his cage). Or, when he's done playing, he'll get back in there on his own. We don't let him hop around our house all the time. He is in his cage for most of the day. I let him out about once a day for an hour or so to get some exercise. You're probably thinking that he smells really bad, and how could we let him live inside our house. He doesn't. We actually found some deoderizer stuff at Petsmart. We just put it into his waterbottle and that makes it so he doesn't stink. It's a very nice thing to have. And, since he's so small, he doesn't need a big place to live or anything, so he's able to live in our spare bedroom. Seriously, I love this little guy. I baby him so much, I'm sure it drives Manny crazy. Oh, and by the way, we actually aren't aloud to have pets in our apartment (whoops!), so you'll just have to pretend like you don't know anything about it. ;) Also, sorry about the red eyes in the pic. He always has them no matter what. I'll post better pictures of him later.

5 comments:

Neysa said...

Elyssa, You are such a dork ha ha! I LOVE your bunny. Who ever would think to have a pet bunny. He is cute though.

Jedda said...

Jacob still talks about your bunny. And the other day we were driving and he asked if we were going to Elyssa's house. I used to have pet bunnies as a kid too and I LOVED it so I am so glad you have little boon :)

KSK said...

Yeah, I am so happy you guys have a blog. I wasn't too into the blog thing either, but its been fun so far.

Anonymous said...

Oh Boon. Seriously the weridst habits from a rabbit I have ever heard.

Holly said...

All the bunnies I've interacted with have just scratched me to death, so that's so nice to know that you have such a sweet little guy! It must be me. Bunnies just don't like me. Oh well, I think I'll get over it!